Dreams played an important part in the lives of God’s people. Of the 116 references to dreams listed in Young’s Concordance, 52 come in Genesis during the early patriarchal period and 29 in the Book of Daniel 1. Are you open to the Lord speaking to you in this way?
Listen to the Audio
Click to Listen | Right Click to Download | Subscribe in iTunes
Dreams and Night Visions
- The Bible calls dreams night visions
Gen. 46:1-4 (NKJV)
1 So Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. 2 Then God spoke to Israel in the visions of the night, and said, “Jacob, Jacob!” And he said, “Here I am.” 3 So He said, “I am God, the God of your father; do not fear to go down to Egypt, for I will make of you a great nation there. 4 I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will put his hand on your eyes.”
- Notice God spoke to Jacob in a dream and gave him direction.
- Have you ever had a dream and it came to pass just like you dreamed it?
- Have you ever received directions through a dream?
- Most (vast majority) dreams are not significant.
Ecclesiastes 5:3 (NKJV)
3 For a dream comes through much activity, And a fool’s voice is known by his many words.
- The KJV has ‘much activity’ as ‘multitude of business.’
- If you have a dream and you don’t immediately know what it means forget it.
- In the Old Testament, God used two people to interpret symbolic dreams which were given to ungodly rulers.
- Joseph who interpreted for Pharaoh and Daniel who interpreted for Nebuchadnezzar.
- If you are in Christ, God will communicate with you in a way that you will understand.
- If there is symbolism in the dream, it will be immediately apparent.
- Like Peter’s vision in Acts 10:9-16.
- You don’t have to worry you might miss something because you don’t understand a symbol.
- Don’t get hung up on symbols.
- God is an expert communicator and He will not confuse you with His transmissions.
- If you ever have a dream of someone dying, pay real close attention to it.
- Bring it to the Lord in prayer.
- Pray immediately for that person’s protection and deliverance.
The Lord Does Give Directions Through Dreams
- Jacob received direction as indicated above.
- Solomon received the great wisdom he is known for in a dream.
1 Kings 3:5, 9-15 (NKJV)
5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask! What shall I give you?”…9 Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?” 10 The speech pleased the LORD, that Solomon had asked this thing. 11 Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, 12 behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. 13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. 14 So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.” 15 Then Solomon awoke; and indeed it had been a dream. And he came to Jerusalem and stood before the ark of the covenant of the LORD, offered up burnt offerings, offered peace offerings, and made a feast for all his servants.
- Joseph received direction about what to do with Mary’s pregnancy in a dream
Matthew 1:18-21 (NKJV)
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.”
- Pilates Wife received direction about Jesus innocence in a dream.
Matthew 27:17-19 (NKJV)
17 Therefore, when they had gathered together, Pilate said to them, “Whom do you want me to release to you? Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” 18 For he knew that they had handed Him over because of envy. 19 While he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent to him, saying, “Have nothing to do with that just Man, for I have suffered many things today in a dream because of Him.”
- Do not discount this type of direction or way of communication.
- God used it in very significant situations.
Call to Action:
As Acts 2:17 states: ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams. Dreams and visions are scriptural. You can locate yourself by them. The young, on rare occasions, will see. The old, on rare occasions, will dream. Be open and sensitive to all the ways the Spirit of God chooses to lead and direct.
You can find more information on Hearing God by visiting the following posts:
- Secrets to Hearing God: Are You Listening? [Podcast]
- Secrets to Hearing God: Are You Waiting? [Podcast]
- Secrets to Hearing God: Are You Sensitive? [Podcast]
- Secrets to Hearing God: What’s the Number One Way God Leads You? [Podcast]
- Secrets to Hearing God: Dreams and Visions [Podcast]
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.
Subscribe in iTunes – click this link
Subscribe in Stitcher Radio – click this link
Subscribe in Zune – log in to Zune and search for ‘Light on Life’ in Marketplace.
If you have a suggestion for a Bible topic you would like to see taught, or if you have a question, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you enjoyed the message, please rate it on iTunes and leave a review.
Question: Have you ever received direction from God in a dream? Please post it in the comments section below.
- Walter A. Elwell and Barry J. Beitzel, Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1988), 642 ↩