Divine healing is better for your life, that’s not only a Bible fact, it’s an earthly fact too. A survey conducted by the American Academy of Family Physicians shows that ninety-nine percent of doctors believe a relationship exists between faith and physical healing. Recently, more than one thousand health-care professionals met at Harvard Medical School to examine the connection between spirituality and healing. Doctors’ faith in faith was bolstered by a California study of the effect of prayer on recovery from heart problems. About two hundred heart patients were assigned to Christians who prayed for them, while an equal number, a control group, received no known prayers. Neither group knew about the prayers, yet those who received prayer developed half the complications that were experienced by those in the control group. A similar study by the Dartmouth Medical School examined the effect of prayer on healing when the patients prayed for themselves. The death rate six months after bypass surgery was 9 percent for the general population but 5 percent for those who prayed for their own healing. And none of the deeply religious patients died during the period of the study. 1
Listen to the Audio
Click Play to Listen | Right Click to Download | Subscribe in Stitcher Radio
Read the Notes
You can view a basic transcript of this podcast at the bottom of this section.
Accept the Challenge
Each week’s podcast contains a call to action. The Word of God will not produce in your life unless you put into operation.
This week’s call is:
Build yourself up with healing scriptures from the Word of God. Think on these verses. Quote them to yourself. You can find a link to a healing scripture list here.
Join the Conversation
Each week’s podcast also contains a question designed to encourage testimony. Testimony is vital to a believer’s life. We overcome by it (Rev. 12:11).
This week’s question is:
Question: Now, that you are aware of some of the differences between divine healing and natural healing, which will you choose for your life? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
You can find additional information on the subject of the Kingdom of God in the resources listed below.
- #S3-005: What Does Jesus Healing on the Sabbath Teach? [Podcast]
- #S3-003: How to Minister Healing Like Jesus Did [Podcast]
- #S2-036: Why Hearing is the Most Necessary Healing Component [Podcast]
- #S2-034: How to Put Yourself In the Word for Healing [Podcast]
- #S2-033: How to Get Faith for Healing [Podcast]
Emery committed his life to the Lord Jesus Christ over 40 years ago and has served as both a full-time pastor and an itinerant minister. Both he and his wife Sharon of 35 years emphasize personal growth and development through the Word of God. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is both the focus and the hallmark of their mission. Read more about them here.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed the podcast, please rate it on Stitcher Radio and leave a review. If you have a suggestion for a Bible topic you would like to see taught, or if you have a question, please e-mail me at email@example.com
What Divine Healing Is and What Divine Healing Isn’t
- In the title above, the most important word is the word ‘divine’.
- Divine healing is ‘Jesus style’ healing.
- It’s the method that He employed in His earth walk.
- There is some confusion on what divine healing actually is.
- We can often understand what something is by looking specifically at what it isn’t.
- In order to clear the confusion, first, let’s take up the case of what healing isn’t.
What Divine Healing Is Not:
Divine healing is not health gained by natural remedies
- Natural remedies are not the method Jesus used.
- There are twenty-three individual cases which Jesus healed recorded in the gospels.
- He never said to any person He ministered to, ‘Take this medicine, rise and walk.’
- To Peter’s mother-in-law, Jesus did not say, ‘Take two aspirin and call me in the morning’ or whatever the equivalent first-century solution or medicine was for that kind of thing.
- Jesus used divine ‘from heaven’ methods, not natural earthly methods.
- That’s why you are hearing an emphasis on the word ‘divine’ in this message.
- The healing which occurs by ibuprofen or whatever pill you’ve been prescribed is not divine healing in the sense of how scripture defines it.
- There is no problem taking whatever pill you’ve been prescribed.
- But, it’s not divine healing.
- Divine healing is healing which comes via the anointing of God.
- It comes by faith in the Word.
- It is not healing which comes via medicinal forms.
Divine healing is not healing which comes via imagination or willpower.
- It is not health which comes via mind over matter.
- The mind, which is part of the soul, has a role in divine healing.
- The soul has to be a team player.
- It cannot be the Lone Ranger.
- Healing is not the soul acting all by itself.
- The soul needs the spirit.
- The spirit needs the Word.
- As you feed upon the Word of God, the mind learns to come in line with God’s way of thinking.
- Again, divine healing is not aid given to the physical body by human sources or medicines.
Divine healing is not denial.
- Denial is dumb in the realm of God.
- People die when they do dumb things.
- Health from heaven is faith.
- It’s not denial.
- Faith is an active living force.
- Healing is not denying a condition exists in your body.
- It’s not ignoring a symptom and pretending it’s not there.
- Faith is not make-believe.
- God is real.
- His Word is real.
- Healing is denying the right of sickness to be in your body according to the Word of God.
- So, do you understand what divine healing isn’t now?
- That doesn’t mean these other methods are wrong or don’t have a place in people being well.
- That is except for denial.
- Denial doesn’t even work in the natural.
- Simply put, these natural methods are not what divine healing is.
What Divine Healing Is
- Divine healing is health gained by a definitive act of God through FAITH in Jesus Christ, by the POWER or ANOINTING of the Holy Spirit, via the precious COVENANT BLOOD Jesus shed, whereby the human body is cured, healed, repaired, delivered from sickness, and it’s power, and made as sound and whole and healthy as it was before the attack.
Medicines and Health
- I asked the Lord years ago about medicine.
- Is it right or wrong to take it?
- I wanted to know.
- Here was His reply to that question.
- He said, ‘Medicine is a non-issue.’
- There is health and wholeness which comes from medicines.
- God has imparted, throughout the ages, to certain residents of planet earth, medicinally knowledge.
- That is certain substances which can be used to aid the human bodies natural healing mechanism.
- Medicines work from the natural.
- God’s power works from the spiritual.
- You will find that many people in trying to deal with Bible subjects take the beef stew method of understanding.
- That is, they lump everything, all the ingredients into the same pot, stir it all up and call it stew or in this case healing.
- In this class, or in this series, I am not qualified to go the natural route.
- Sharon likes to investigate natural remedies.
- In my mind, God gave you a brain to use.
- So, learn about eating right and do it.
Cold Sores: A Natural Method
- I used to get cold sores when my body got under stress. One day in the midst of one of these ‘cold sore’ moments, the Lord said to Sharon, ‘Put some bleach on the cold sore.’ I did and it killed the sore. The itching stopped immediately. The bodies natural physical healing mechanism took over and, In a couple of days, it was gone. I’ve used that method to deal with cold sores ever since.
- God is the author of many natural methods.
- Search them out and use them.
- But, this lesson is about divine healing which is not natural.
- It comes from God via faith, anointing power, and covenant agreement.
- Do you understand the difference?
Why Divine Healing Is Superior to Natural Methods
- Divine healing is better than natural ‘aid the body with medicines methods’.
Health from Heaven Has No Side-Effects
- Have you seen some of the commercials for these new medicines which are coming out today?
- When they get to the side effects part of the commercial, you know the disclaimer, the listing of the side-effects is longer than the benefit the medicine brings.
- What the medicine will heal is one paragraph of the commercial and the side-effects is pages long.
- Some of the side-effects are way worse than the original problem it was designed to cure.
- Now, all medicines are not like that.
- Many have little or no side-effects.
- But, side-effects are one reason divine healing is preferred.
- God can directly fix the part of the body that’s ailing without jacking up something else in your system.
- Because He alone fully and completely understands how all the systems of the entire human body work in unison.
- He’s the designer of them.
- There is not yet full knowledge and will never be full knowledge of how the human body works.
- The human brain is still a mystery and will probably remain so despite the best efforts of the medical community.
- Certain diseases have no cure and remain a mystery.
- It’s no mystery to God.
- He is the Creator of the body in the first place.
- The God who made the body can absolutely and perfectly fix the body.
- He can restore it totally.
- The Lord can grow new limbs.
- He can make nerves come alive which have dead and dormant for years.
- Our God is a miracle worker.
Not All Diseases or Conditions Can Be Remedied Naturally
Jeremiah 46:11 (ESV) — 11 Go up to Gilead, and take balm, O virgin daughter of Egypt! In vain you have used many medicines; there is no healing for you.
- This passage in Jeremiah is pretty plain, isn’t it?
- Sometimes medicines are in vain.
- That should mean to you and I that we should look to God and develop faith in His Word so that no one can say to us, there’s nothing more we can do.
- Do you remember the woman with the issue of blood?
Mark 5:25–26 (ESV) — 25 And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, 26 and who had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse.
- Look at the word ‘suffered’ in this passage.
- The Greek word means to suffer pain.
- Now, add the word ‘much’ to this discussion.
- The woman suffered much pain at the hands of the doctors.
- The word ‘much’ means a great amount.
- The woman suffered a great amount of pain because she went to the doctors.
- And, to add insult to injury, they charged here for it.
- So much so, that she went broke.
- So now, she’s in more pain than when she started.
- She’s completely without resources and finances.
- And, to top it off, the disease she was fighting was getting worse and her health was fading even more.
- Not all diseases can be remedied naturally.
- Start building yourself up in this area now.
- Pay attention to healing scriptures.
- Build the Word of God into your heart.
- The Associated Press, quoted in “Religion in the News,” Signs of the Times, March 1997, p. 4, Galaxie Software, 10,000 Sermon Illustrations (Biblical Studies Press, 2002). ↩