Once while Francis of Assisi was hoeing his garden, he was asked, “What would you do if you suddenly learned that you where to die at sunset today?” He replied, “I would finish hoeing my garden.” – Francis of Assisi 1. This is the answer of man who knows he is in the place he should be in. You can gain this sense of peace. You can walk in this confidence. It comes by knowing how to find your place.
Matt. 12:46-50 (KJV)
46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. 47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. 48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
ILLUSTRATION: How God Does Not Guide Us
In 1937 the Dalai Lama, Tibet’s highest religious leader, died. A search for his successor, his reincarnation, began. When it was noted that the head of the corpse tilted eastward, his followers began to look in that direction. That and other hints from religious visions led them to a two-year-old boy in a remote farmhouse, and today he is the Dalai Lama. We Christians are not left with such vague and nebulous guidance. We have the clear teaching of Scripture and the guiding presence of the Holy Spirit.
The Will of God: Number One In Importance
- Doing God’s Will is a characteristic of those related to Jesus.
- According to Jesus, if you do the will of God, you are family.
- True followers of Jesus are those who have the will of God of primary importance in their lives.
- “What does God want me to do here?” is a question which should characterize us with every decision we make.
- It should be the compelling motive for all of our actions.
- Putting the kingdom first, understanding what we are supposed to be doing relative to that kingdom is number one.
- The will of God covers different areas of a persons life.
There is the will of God for you in the body of Christ.
- What does God want you to do in the local church?
- What is your assignment?
- Your assignment may be music, it may be working with children or youth.
- It may be fixing the church or cleaning the church.
- It may be hospitality.
- It may be evangelism.
- It may be any number of things.
There is the will of God for me outside the church.
- What job do I work at?
- Who do I marry?
- Do I even get married?
- Where do I live?
Here are some things to look for.
Common Characteristics of Being in the Will of God
Your Place is a Place of Delight.
Psalm 40:8 (KJV)
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: Yea, thy law is within my heart.
- It is a place of satisfaction.
- Any other place is a place of less satisfaction.
- If you find your place, it will delight you
- If you find your place, it will fulfill you
- You will love it.
- If you love the place where you are at, if you love what you are doing you will never work another day in your life.
- The greatest place to be in is when you are confused about the difference between work and play.
I never worked a day in my life. It was all fun. – Thomas Edison
- Many times when you are starting out and God is leading you, you won’t realize that the thing you are being led to do is something you’ll have fun at doing.
Your Place Is A Place of Passion.
John 4:31–34 (KJV)
31 In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. 32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. 33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? 34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
- Be passionate about what you’re doing. Jesus was.
- Passion sustains you.
- It was Jesus meat. It’s what sustained Him.
- Passion is a burning commitment which brings your whole life into play enabling you to tap inner strength, abilities, and resources.
- Passion is the place…
- Where your blood boils
- Where you are on fire
- Where you eat and sleep your desire. It’s all you think about.
- Passion is a good God thing.
Galatians 4:18 (KJV)
18 But it is good to be zealously affected always in a good thing, and not only when I am present with you.
- Jesus was passionate. He used a whip and overturned the moneychangers tables.
- You are nothing unless it comes from your heart.
- Passionate people do things that other people who are not passionate seem to think are excessive.
Your Place Is A Place of Effectiveness.
- You are God Wired Physically
- God wired you a certain way.
- Every believer has physical God ordained DNA
- He wired you with a certain personality.
- He wired you with certain likes.
- Do you like to see things grow?
- There’s a reason why.
- When you put your square self into the square hole God has called you to, everything works together to help you get the job done.
- You are God Wired Spiritually
- Every Believer Has God Ordained Spiritual DNA
- Spiritual DNA Operates by Knowledge
2 Peter 1:3-4 (NKJV)
3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
- This is what God is saying about your Spiritual DNA:
- If you understand what is in you,
- If you give place to what is in you,
- If you work with and develop and nurture that which is within you,
- It will dominate your life.
- When it does, you will be effective
- Not just effective, but very effective.
- Physical DNA Plus Spiritual DNA Makes You Powerful
- This combo makes you Unique
- This combo makes you Valuable
- This combo makes you Special
- This combo makes you Irreplaceable
- Nobody is wired like you are.
- That’s why it is carnal for you to try and copy someone else.
- You can’t be someone else. You don’t have the wiring.
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.
Your Place Is A Place of Anointing.
- God Put an Anointing In You
1 John 2:27 (KJV)
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- If you have this anointing in you, it will help you become effective in the place you have been called.
- Every believer is anointed.
- The anointing is not just for preachers.
- What does this anointing do?
- Did you read it?
- It (He) teaches you
- It (He) teaches you how to function in your place.
- If you listen to the anointing, and do whatever your hearing the anointing say to you, you will be effective.
- For the anointing will always lead you to a place of effectiveness.
Psalm 92:13–14 (KJV)
13 Those that be planted in the house of the LORD Shall flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; They shall be fat and flourishing; What does this verse tells us
- If you are moving in the right place, you will flourish even in old age.
Call to Action:
Now, you have some tools, some markers to help you gauge where you are. Use them. Look at them. If your a bit of course, don’t panic. Talk to the Lord about it. His Spirit will help you find your place and fill it.
Question: What have you learned about the importance of finding your place in God? Please leave your comments in the comments section below.
- Galaxie Software, 10,000 Sermon Illustrations (Biblical Studies Press, 2002) ↩