What An Exchange! According to “It Happened in Canada,” during the early days of Northern Ontario’s gold rush (1909), Sandy Mclntyre found what is now the famous mine bearing his name. He sold out for $25 in order to buy some liquor. Years later he still passed his time crying in beverage rooms, while the mine he discovered produced gold worth 230 million dollars. 1 As good as an exchange as this was for the man who bought the mine for $25.00, this is nothing compared to the greatest exchange ever, Jesus exchanging His life for yours. Today, we are picking up from last week’s post with these thoughts on what Jesus exchange meant for our deliverance.
Galatians 1:4 (NKJV)
4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,
Jesus Substitution is the Great Exchange
- The word ‘exchange’ is another way of saying substitution.
- In the world of sports, when you substitute, you exchange one player for the other.
- What did we exchange out when we received Jesus as Savior and Lord?
- We exchanged unrighteousness for righteousness.We exchanged sickness for health.
- We exchanged poverty for wealth.
- This is the essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- The Gospel could be called the Great Exchange.
- With the exchange comes deliverance.
- It’s a word which leads to deliverance.
Exchange Means Deliverance
- The word ‘deliver’ means to rescue.
- It means to pluck out.
- Because Jesus became your substitute, you have been delivered, plucked out, and rescued.
- God’s gospel plan is a rescue plan.
- It’s a rescue mission.
- The world needs to know this.
- The world does not need to be lectured on what a bad bunch of sinners they are.
- A boy was in danger of being drowned while bathing in the river. Seeing a traveler on the bank, he called to him for help; but the man started to lecture him about his rashness. “Rescue me now”, cried the boy; “You can lecture later on when I am safe.”
- Teaching on living a clean life before God comes after the rescue mission not before.
- We lecture people who don’t know Jesus on drinking, smoking, drugs and wrong sex when, if they corrected all of those things, their life would still be wrong.
- It’s not individual sins which doom a man.
- It’s who they are in their heart.
John 8:44 (NKJV)
44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
- Fallen man is under the fatherhood of the enemy.
- It’s their entire nature which is wrong.
Your Deliverance Potential
- The next word you need to take note of in Galatians 1:4 is this word ‘might’.
- Jesus gave Himself for our sins that He ‘might deliver us.’
- ‘Might deliver us’ means the potential is there to be delivered.
- ‘Might deliver us’ means deliverance is not automatic.
- Jesus died for the whole world but that does not mean that the whole world is automatically delivered.
- ‘Might deliver us’ means you might or might not be experiencing the Jesus kind of deliverance.
- You might be saved or you might not be.
- The potential is there for you to have all of it.
- But, it’s not automatic.
- Maybe, you’re may not be experiencing it because you have not accepted it yet.
- All of what Jesus provided in His death, burial, and resurrection is on this level.
- It all must be appropriated by faith.
- Your healing is bought and paid for.
- You might be healed and you might not be.
- It all depends on if you have received it.
God’s People Are A Delivered People
- We are delivered from this ‘present evil age’.
- The word ‘world’ should be translated ‘age’ in this passage.
- There are things that go along with the ‘age’ you live in which requires deliverance.
- There are certain, thoughts, opinions, maxims, speculations, hopes, impulses, aims, and aspirations from which one must be delivered.
- These are demon thoughts, demon opinions, and demon maxims.
- You get the idea.
- The Bible says that you don’t have to fall prey to this source for wisdom.
- You are delivered from it.
- You are delivered from the way the world thinks.
- These words ‘might deliver’ covers ever battle you will ever fight in life.
- Are you in a battle tonight?
- God said you have been delivered if you’ll receive it.
- Are you sick? You have been delivered if you’ll receive it.
- Are you addicted to something? You have been delivered if you’ll receive it.
- Are you depressed? You have been delivered if you’ll receive it.
- Are you discouraged? You have been delivered if you’ll receive it.
- Are you fill in the blank? You have been delivered IF and only IF you’ll receive it.
- Each believer in Jesus must accept his or her deliverance personally and individually by faith.
- If you don’t accept it by operating in faith, Jesus substitution on your behalf is dormant.
God’s Attitude about Your Deliverance
- The last thing we need to look at in this verse is God’s thoughts about our deliverance.
- Notice what Paul said by the Spirit of God.
- He states that our deliverance via Jesus substitutionary work is the ‘will of God our the Father’.
- God is not wishy washy and up and down about your deliverance.
- Neither is He exclusive about it, reserving it only for a special few.
- No, it’s His will that everyone experiences His life changing deliverance.
- It’s His will that every man, woman, and child on the planet be free from sin, sickness, addiction, poverty, discouragement and all that binds.
Call to Action:
Deliverance is yours for the asking as the Book of Acts states, “And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the Lord Shall be saved.” (Acts 2:21).
Question: What is your testimony of deliverance? Please share it in the comments section below.
- Paul Lee Tan, Encyclopedia of 7700 Illustrations: Signs of the Times (Garland, TX: Bible Communications, Inc., 1996), 121. ↩