Becoming a disciple of Jesus means becoming a committed follower. It is a life-long learning position (Matthew 11:29). There’s much to know about God and His ways. One potentially huge area is the subject of miracles. Jesus said, ‘The works that I do, you will do also and greater works than these shall you do because I go unto the Father’ (John 14:12). As an aspiring disciple, it is necessary that we become students of the miraculous in order that we might flow in the greater works of Jesus.
Lessons We Can Learn From Miracles
- In his book on miracles, Bill Johnson has the following quote.
“It is not enough to put our revelation into action, we must become students of miracles. That means the miracles that we experience must shape our thinking. God uses miracles to train us how to see differently. A miracle is a school” 1.
Lesson 1: Consecration
Romans 12:1 (ESV)
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”
- “God has never made it a habit to use things that do not belong to Him. He uses those things that are yielded to Him. Things that are consecrated. Things that are sanctified and set apart for His use. Do you want God to use you? Then you must present your body. God makes two requirements for an acceptable sacrifice. It must be HOLY and it must be HIS” 2.
- There is a price to pay to walk with Him.
- The things of God are not cheap
- You cannot find His anointing’s at the five and dime.
- You are going to have study His Word, you are going to have to meditate on it.
- You are going to have to diligently seek Him. In our circles, we do not talk about this too much.
- Do you remember this account in scripture?
Exodus 3:2–4 (ESV)
2 And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed.
3 And Moses said, “I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned.”
4 When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.”
- You remember Moses and the burning bush?
- Remember the lesson that it teaches?
- When the Lord saw that Moses turned to look that is when God spoke to him.
- God is not going to light your bush unless He knows you are willing to turn and look.
- What that means is He has to know that your heart is toward His things; that you value and respect His things.
- You understand valuable things, don’t you?
- Would take what is valuable to you and put that valuable thing you prize in a pig’s mouth?
Proverbs 11:22 (KJV)
22 As a jewel of gold in a swine’s snout, So is a fair woman which is without discretion.
- The word ‘discretion’ means to judge wisely.
- God does not take His valuables and put them in a pig’s mouth or in the hands of people with no discretion.
- John G. Lake said it this way.
“The real Christian is a separated man. (he has judged wisely) He is separated forever unto God in all departments of his life, and so his body and his soul and his spirit are forever committed to God… The impression I wish to leave is this that a hundredfold consecration takes the individual out of the hands of all but God. This absolute consecration to God, this triune salvation, is the real secret to the successful Christian life.”
- The school of miracles teaches this outstanding point that if you want God’s best then you are going to have to give Him your best.
- These anointings are His anointing’s.
- They are not yours.
- You have to walk closely with Him and you have to say Yes, to Him when He calls.
- You have to turn and look when He is leading you.
- That is not always easy.
- Taking up your cross and following Him is not for the weak at heart.
Lesson 2: Humility
- God will gladly do great things in anyone’s life,
- He will do great things in your home and family,
- if He does not have to share the stage with you.
- Look at Jesus on this point
- Jesus pointed directly at His father and said these words…
John 14:10 (ESV)
10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.
- Jesus said these words during the last two weeks of His life.
- That means Lazarus has already been raised from the dead.
- That means the man at the pool of Bethesda has already been raised
- That means blind Bartimaeus already has his sight.
- Jesus gave the credit to His Father.
- This idea of humility is all over the Word.
- Live with humility and gentleness (Eph. 4:2);
- in humility reckon others better than yourselves (Phil. 2:3);
- put on humility (Col. 3:12);
- be clothed with humility (1 Pet. 5:5);
- humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God (1 Pet. 5:6);
- walk humbly with your God (Mic. 6:8);
- do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly (Rom. 12:16);
- in humility accept the implanted word (Jas. 1:21);
- at a feast, take the lowest place (Luke 14:10); better to be of humble spirit than to divide spoil with the proud (Prov. 16:19);
- insistence on self-abasement (Col. 2:18; Col. 2:23);
- seek righteousness, seek humility (Zeph. 2:3);
- be humble in spirit (1 Pet. 3:8).
- There are just simply too many verses to ignore.
Matthew 11:29 (ESV)
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- There is absolutely, positively a connection between miracles and humility.
- The life of the Lord Jesus Christ proves it.
- Remember, it was pride which changed angels into devils; it is humility which reverses the process.
Call to Action:
Consecration and humility are two lessons that the realm of miracles can teach us. Growing and being grounded in these disciplines is essential Christianity 101. Continually pray prayers of consecration unto the Lord. Tell Him that you are willing to do anything that He asks you to do. Study the subject of humility. Look at what the scriptures teach about it. There is, also, material on this site to help you with this. Just type these words into the search bar at the upper right.
Question: What essential lesson has the realm of the miraculous taught you in your life. Please leave a comment in the comments section below.