There is nothing like nature to unfold truth about God. Nature is constantly shouting to us about the wisdom and the power of God. It gives a sense of awe and mystery to life. Even atheists cannot fully escape this. God’s revelation in nature is like an orchestra performing a concert. Some people who come to listen hear only the instruments as they express the melody and harmony of the music. But others who come are familiar with the composer and know the words that go with the music. These hear more than the music. In much the same way, only those who have a personal relationship with the Creator through Jesus Christ can really see in all of creation the fullness of what God intended to communicate through it.1 Seeing is part of knowing and knowing is part of building. Those who are God lover’s possess a deep desire to build His Kingdom. How do we do that exactly? Growing the Kingdom starts with growing you.
Revelation and to Build Successfully in God
1 Corinthians 3:10–15 (NKJV) — 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
It’s All of Grace
- Paul speaks of building on the foundation which is Jesus Christ.
- He says his ability in this area is all of grace.
- Your personal talents, your skills, your ability to see certain things clearly are all by the hand of God.
- Notice also, that there are two types of builders in God’s Kingdom.
Two Kinds of Builders
- There are the wood, hay and straw bunch.
- And then, there is the gold, silver and precious stones bunch.
- Note what type of builder the precious metals group is.
- Per Paul, these builders are ‘wise master builders’.
- The word ‘wise’ is translated as ‘skilled’ in the English Standard Version of the Bible (ESV).
- The word is an adjective and it having accumulated knowledge or discernment.
- Accumulated knowledge, did you get that.
- Being a wise master builder comes by having accumulated wisdom from the Spirit if the Most High God.
How Do You Get the Wisdom to Build?
- How do you get this wisdom?
- God wisdom only comes by revelation.
- The Spirit of God has to show you how.
- He has to reveal to you the why.
- He must show you the way.
- Anything built any other way, like personal charisma, like leaning solely on one’s wits etc., falls into the second class of builders, the wood hay and straw bunch.
- So then, anything that is built on the foundation of God has revelation from His Spirit as an essential element.
- He’s the only one that can show you and direct you how to build effectively.
Don’t Try to Call Others to Build
- This is the reason why you don’t let men put you into some office in the church.
- No one can call you to the ministry.
- No one can give you the equipment to build on God’s foundation.
- Preachers just need to quit doing that.
- They need to stop trying to call people into the ministry.
- Let the Spirit of God do that.
- People have to have revelation concerning their call.
- While in the traveling ministry portion of my life’s calling, in one particular meeting, a man walked up to me after service all befuddled.
- He was in anxiety over the fact that the ministers in this church were prophesying over him that he was called into the ministry.
- I asked what did the Lord speak to him personally about this?
- Did the Lord witness to your heart of your calling?
- He said no.
- I told him to forget it about.
- Don’t pay attention to what they are telling you.
- Think about it.
- The Lord Jesus Christ the head of the church is well able to communicate, his intention concerning your life.
- He knows exactly where you live.
- You don’t need other men to prophesy it to you.
Paul Had No Problem Knowing His Calling
Acts 26:14–18 (NKJV) — 14 And when we all had fallen to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ 15 So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. 17 I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
- While he was persecuting the church as a flat out unbeliever, God made his calling crystal clear to him.
- And, He will do the same with you.
- He’s the same God today as he has always been.
Call to Action:
Quit trying to call yourself. Don’t step into an office of your choosing. Don’t try and do what other people are doing. God needs original builders, not copycat builders. You’ll only end up with your works in the fire pit. God has set people in the body as it has pleased Him. Your place comes by Him unveiling or uncovering that to you.
Question: How did the Lord let you know of your place in the body of Christ?
- Michael P. Green, 1500 Illustrations for Biblical Preaching (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2000), 305. ↩